This week: Feature interview with 2011 Tales of the Cocktail American Bartender of the Year, Sam Ross. The Free Pour Five with The American Bar Head Bartender, Maxim Schulte.
Aussie Sam Ross has been climbing the ranks in the New York bar scene since his Dad bought him a one-way ticket there from Melbourne in 2004. He spent years learning from the late great Sasha Petraske at Milk & Honey before he and Michael McIlroy re-christened it as Attaboy in 2012. Since then, they've opened an Attaboy in Nashville and a new venue - Diamond Reef - that's making similarly outstanding drinks in Brooklyn.
Then, we chat to the newest Head Bartender at The American Bar at the Savoy Hotel in London: Maxim Schulte. Maxim is only 28 years old, was born in Hamburg and has worked in bars all across the world - from Bangkok to Hong Kong and Saudi Arabia. At such a young age, he's already won the Beefeater MIXLDN competition with his cocktail, 'The Stack of Fortune', and is only the 11th person to head up the The American Bar in its 125-year history.
Resources, bars and products mentioned:
- Attaboy New York & Nashville
- Diamond Reef New York
- The Dorsey Las Vegas
- Bartender's Choice Vol. 2 smartphone app
- 03:50 What Sam is up to in Vegas
- 07:00 Training bartenders
- 09:10 Sam's move to New York
- 15:30 Sasha Petraske
- 19:40 The return of the classics
- 22:30 Opening Attaboy
- 26:50 New York vs Nashville vs Las Vegas
- 32:40 The Pencillin - issues with CCA
- 35:00 The Bartender's Choice app
- 37:40 Tips for running a successful bar
- 42:28 The Free Pour Five with Maxim Schulte