Philip Duff talks Tales of the Cocktail and mentoring young bartenders
This week, our series of best-of podcasts continues with our chat from Episode 3. We pick the brain of bar consultant, educator, mentor and producer Philip Duff, who, at the time of recording, was Tales of the Cocktail's Director of Education.
There's not much Philip Duff hasn't done since establishing his drinks consultancy, Liquid Solutions, 20 years ago. What he has done includes opening the Netherland's first Speakeasy – door 74 – mentoring some of the world's best bartenders (including Marcus!) and serving as the Director of Education at Tales of the Cocktail.
Phil's latest project has been getting his own range of spirits off the ground and into bars the world over. Old Duff Genever - 100% owned by Phil - is one of only three brands permitted to carry the seal of Schiedam, and since our chat, Proof & Co have announced they'll be bringing it to Australia and New Zealand.
- 06:15 Changes Phil has seen in his time at Tales of the Cocktail.
- 13:15 Why Phil regards Australia as the best pound-for-pound cocktail nation in the world.
- 15:15 Where Phil thinks the cocktail revolution is at and where it’s headed
- 21:05 What Phil thinks people are looking to drink in 2019.
- 22:55 What Phil looks for when judging cocktail competitions.
- 29:25 The advice Phil would give to bartenders starting out today.
- 36:05 Phil’s most memorable drinking experience.